Ones are perfectionists who are motivated by the wonderful feeling they get when everything comes together just the way they wanted.
These people have very high standards. Thanks to their habit of evaluating everything with these standards in mind, they notice problems, errors, and imperfections and feel compelled to fix them.
It’s important to note, however, that different Ones have different areas they focus on. For example, while some Ones may focus on their career or social issues, others may focus on the cleanliness of their homes. So yes, you can have a messy house or office and still be a One!
The test below consists of statements that describe Enneagram type 1 personality type. You can use it to test the degree of your Oneness or simply as a list of Type One characteristics.
If you score around 70/100 or more, you are probably a One or have a strongly developed One wing. Check all that apply.
1. I like to do things properly.
2. I always follow the rules.
3. I feel like I need to earn relaxation time.
4. Although I am highly critical, hearing criticism from others is extremely hard.
5. I am a self-disciplined person.
6. I feel a strong sense of responsibility.
7. I am one of the first in the office and the last to leave at night.
8. I often talk about how things should be.
9. I am often anxious because of my constant need to measure up.
10. I want to avoid fault and blame.
11. I judge myself and others by what they do, not what they say.
12. I am into self-improvement.
13. I obsess about what could have been if everyone was doing their job.
14. I dwell on mistakes.
15. I feel like I have to compensate for the irresponsibility and sloppiness of my family members and colleagues.
16. I am rarely satisfied with my results. I always feel that I need a little more time to work on things to make them perfect.
17. I like to organize everything.
18. I work to bring stability to my life.
19. I worry a lot about my future.
20. I try to be extra nice to those I am dissatisfied with.
21. I don’t want to waste my time.
22. I want to control everything in my environment.
23. I mostly wear classic clothing.
24. I always complete my projects on time. In my mind, there is no other way!
25. As a teen, I acted older than my age.
26. I worry and fuss even when things go well.
27. I always park my car right between the lines because that’s the way I want everyone to behave.
28. I feel so bad when I fail to achieve my ideal vision.
29. I always show up on time and expect others to do the same.
30. I set high standards for myself and others.
31. I want to change other people, to make them more perfect.
32. I often feel a sense of guilt about not being good enough.
33. I tend to micromanage.
34. I focus on what is not working rather than what is.
35. I always think out things carefully before acting.
36. I judge things against my inner ideal, which automatically makes me notice all imperfections and errors.
37. I constantly evaluate everything — people, situations, my own performance — to see how it compares to what it should be.
38. I try to have a correct posture at all times.
39. I control my impulses, emotions and needs to avoid doing something inappropriate and embarrassing myself.
40. I rarely praise others or give compliments.
41. I make sure to eat a balanced diet or strictly follow a specific diet that I believe to be healthy.
42. I want to be a good example for others.
43. I suppress my negative or inappropriate emotions and express their exact opposite.
44. I follow the rules because you can’t be blamed when you do everything right, even when things don’t work out.
45. I try my best to keep my strong emotions under control.
46. I wish others appreciated my efforts.
47. I always make sure that everything is done right and finished.
48. I obsess about what should be done and how it should be done.
49. My work environment is always clean and organized.
50. I always got straight A’s as a child.
51. I always feel like there is room for improvement.
52. I make lists to plan everything and use them later to check off tasks when they are done.
53. I am quite critical.
54. Following rules and routine gives me a sense of security.
55. I take time to research and think about everything carefully before deciding.
56. I aspire to be a respectable and reputable member of society.
57. I tend to be more on a serious side.
58. If somebody is wrong about something, I will point it out to them.
59. I practice a lot.
60. There is always this conversation in my mind about what needs to be done next.
61. Sometimes I procrastinate a task because I can’t execute it flawlessly.
62. I never had motivation issues.
63. I need to always be on high alert to ensure that things happen the way I planned or prevent disasters.
64. I worry that other people judge me.
65. I tend to get envious/jealous.
66. I constantly monitor my own actions and behavior.
67. I am not particularly flexible or adaptable.
68. I just want to make things right.
69. Sometimes I judge other people to make myself feel better about my own mistakes.
70. I change my clothes frequently to make sure they always look fresh and clean.
71. Decision-making makes me quite anxious because I am afraid to make mistakes and choose a less-than-perfect option.
72. I work hard.
73. I often resent others because they aren’t helping or doing their job.
74. Generally, I think in black-and-white terms. I like things to be clearly defined.
75. I do things well, or I don’t do them at all.
76. I am focused on the future.
77. I am very self-aware; it’s important to me to dress and behave appropriately.
78. I am a very reliable person.
79. Perhaps I work too much.
80. To be honest, I am not the most generous person.
81. At home, I clean, wash, straighten and check things all the time.
82. I am my own worst critic.
83. I am never completely relaxed.
84. I love to teach.
85. I make an effort to look extra clean and tidy.
86. I hardly ever do anything spontaneously.
87. I often refuse to participate in activities because I cannot perform to a high enough standard.
88. I follow an exercise program, and I am very serious about it.
89. I shower more than once daily.
90. I find it very difficult to delegate tasks. If I want the job to be done correctly, I have to do it myself.
91. I feel overburdened by all the things I have to do.
92. I want to plan everything out.
93. I have to provide a sense of stability to my family.
94. I worry about getting in trouble or something going wrong.
95. Sometimes I feel the need to prove that I am right and others are wrong to have some power over them.
96. I worry about having to support others.
97. I become super polite when angry.
98. I take pleasure in a job well done.
99. If I make a mistake, I return to the beginning and start over.
100. I would rather take time to study the manual than embarrass myself by asking an obvious question.
More on Enneagram Type 1:
Take THIS TEST to find out »