Your Enneagram personality serves to protect you from negative emotions. The reason why we have nine Enneagram personalities is that different people are concerned about different things.
In the case of Enneagram type 7, these people live their lives constantly trying to block painful emotions. Some 7s do it so well that they aren’t even aware that these emotions exist. However, if they stop for a moment, an uncomfortable feeling of anxiety often arises.
The test below consists of 100 statements. All of these statements describe behaviors that are typical of 7s. If you score around 70, you are probably a 7. Occasionally, it may mean you have a very strong Seven-wing (6w7 or 8w7). If you are serious about finding your Enneagram type, you need to take all nine in-depth tests provided on this page and compare the results.
Check all that apply.
1. I want to keep the energy high.
2. Sometimes I cancel plans with friends last minute because something more fun comes along.
3. I often use words such as “amazing”, “astonishing”, “stunning”, “incredible”, etc.
4. I am always on the go.
5. I keep up with the latest trends.
6. Being out there makes me feel alive.
7. I am interested in collecting experiences.
8. I just don’t want to feel limited.
9. I really enjoy food. Sometimes I feel like I want to eat everything.
10. I simply choose to feel good.
11. Even when I am busy with something fun and exciting, my mind drifts off toward other things I could plan for the future.
12. I am a very social and extroverted person.
13. I never feel satisfied.
14. I tend to focus on my own plans and preferences first.
15. I avoid needy people.
16. My self-control is weak.
17. I always focus on the bright side.
18. I don’t tend to examine my own thoughts and feelings too much.
19. I seek peak experiences.
20. I enjoy trying new and original ways of doing things.
21. Even though I am interested in many subjects, I don’t take the time to study any of them in-depth.
22. Sometimes I imagine positive and stimulating experiences to make myself feel better.
23. I am naturally optimistic.
24. I like to imagine an exciting future; it allows me to escape the not-so-pleasant here and now.
25. I was a class clown as a child.
26. Even a trip to a grocery store becomes an adventure when you are with me.
27. I avoid asking for favors because I don’t want to feel indebted. It restricts my freedom.
28. I want my life partner to be my playmate.
29. I diffuse conflicts through diplomacy and humor.
30. I am great at brainstorming but not so good at taking care of the details.
31. I want to focus on what I want instead of complaining.
32. I forgive easily.
33. I don’t think much about the past.
34. I simply discount criticisms.
35. I build relationships just in case I need a specific kind of help one day.
36. I resist being controlled by others.
37. I can be very spontaneous.
38. I work to support my lifestyle (i.e., travel, entertainment, experiences, etc.)
39. Generally, I am very interested in other people, but I don’t feel the need to connect to them on a deeper level.
40. Sometimes when conflicts arise, I might just leave without facing and resolving the problems.
41. I admit that I tend to deny real problems.
42. I don’t feel embarrassed if I can’t do something well.
43. I prefer ideas and theory to implementation.
44. I try to make others happy by keeping things fun and light even when I don’t feel happy myself.
45. A smile is my default facial expression.
46. Frankly speaking, I don’t spend much time thinking about how other people feel. I am mainly focused on myself.
47. I am very adventurous.
48. I secretly fear that if I stop acting happy and start being myself, others might not want me around.
What makes you the way you are? Take THIS TEST to discover your personality type.
49. I am an expert multitasker.
50. I want to feel free.
51. Generally, I allow others to solve their own problems. I feel like most people should be able to do it.
52. I adapt to new circumstances very quickly.
53. Even when I am part of a team, I find ways to maintain my personal freedom to do what I want and when I want.
54. Because I tend to focus on the fun and positive side of things, I might not be too compassionate at times.
55. Planning experiences is almost as much fun as living them.
56. I don’t tolerate boredom very well.
57. Sometimes I get lost in my plans and fantasies.
58. I am not afraid to try something new.
59. I feel anxious when there isn’t anything to distract myself with. I feel that I need to keep going and going to protect myself from this anxiety.
60. I start many projects but do not complete most of them.
61. I enjoy entertaining others.
62. I learn very quickly.
63. I always have an alternative plan just in case things become too boring or don’t work out as I hoped.
64. Sometimes I worry that I will not be able to sustain my excitement.
65. Sometimes it’s hard to make decisions because by saying “yes” to something, you automatically say “no” to something else. I am concerned about missing out on other options.
66. To be completely honest, I sometimes exaggerate to make things sound more fun.
67. It’s like I look at the world through a filter. As much as I can, I filter out the bad stuff.
68. I want to be the center of attention.
69. I have a rich fantasy life.
70. I can do many different things well.
71. When something bad happens to me, I tell myself it could be worse. It is my way to feel better.
72. I have a quick mind.
73. When I feel anxious, I don’t try to understand its causes but try to distract myself instead.
74. I reframe my setbacks as learning experiences.
75. I have a lot of acquaintances, but I prefer to keep the connection light.
76. I always look for ways to relieve negative feelings, such as boredom, discomfort, pain, etc.
77. I feel irritated by people who are too slow.
78. I love to tell stories.
79. I have so many ideas!
80. I don’t commit easily because I need to feel that I have options to choose from (relationships, education, jobs, places to live, etc.)
81. I think a lot of people make themselves more miserable through their bad attitudes.
82. If someone speaks too much about their problems, complains a lot, or is just being negative, I usually change the subject because it’s too much for me.
83. I am one of those people who can talk a lot about their plans without actually doing anything.
84. I am always up for something new.
85. I love to entertain guests.
86. I don’t dwell on my negative emotions; I move on rather quickly.
87. Positive thinking really works for me.
88. My interests are very diverse.
89. I get bored with routine. Every once in a while, I do something different, even if it’s simply taking another road home.
90. I am always planning my next trip.
91. I share my thoughts and feelings freely, even if others may disagree.
92. Most of the time, I intentionally ignore difficult and painful things.
93. I am a very solution-oriented type. Instead of dwelling on problems, I immediately begin looking for solutions.
94. I am excited about my future.
95. When something negative happens, I always tell myself it’s just temporary.
96. I love sharing my experiences with others.
97. I always look for good opportunities.
98. I am an escapist — playing too many games, watching too many movies, reading too much fiction, etc., to avoid dealing with reality.
99. I am drawn to experimentation.
100. Sometimes I just can’t say no to myself.
If you are a Seven, you may find this interesting: