INTP is a brainy type. People with this personality type enjoy the process of thinking and planning things more than implementation, which isn’t as exciting.
The ideal jobs for INTPs should allow them to design physical or theoretical systems.
Examples of physical systems include machines, buildings, or bridges.
Theoretical systems would be corporations or curricula.
You can read more about this here.
So the first type of careers to avoid would be
1. any career that requires the implementation of their own or others’ plans.
- contractor (1),
- builder (2),
- electrician (3),
- carpenter (4),
- school teacher (5).
INTPs are independent thinkers and need to be given plenty of freedom to be happy.
They want flexible jobs with as little supervision as possible.
They will not thrive in a very structured environment or a company with excessively rigid rules and regulations.
So the second thing to avoid would be
2. any company or organization with an emphasis on rules and hierarchy.
- most military careers (6),
- most jobs in the maritime industry (7),
- careers in big, established companies that have no tolerance for the INTP’s lack of punctuality and disregard for rules and procedures (8).
INTPs are introverts and require time to be alone and think.
They particularly dislike meetings or environments where they are forced to interact with a lot of people. The third type of INTP careers to avoid would be
3. jobs that require communication skills.
- publicist (9),
- marketing manager (10),
- lawyer (11),
- salesperson (12),
- social worker (13).
INTPs dislike boring and repetitive tasks that provide little room for creativity.
This brings us to the last point: INTPs should avoid
4. monotonous and repetitive jobs.
- accountant (14),
- data entry (15),
- driver (16),
- lab technician (17),
- air traffic controller (18),
- compliance officer (19).
This may sound like INTPs are good for nothing, but it is not true.
INTPs can enter all occupations; however, they naturally prefer such jobs as
- computer programmer,
- college professor,
- computer system analyst.
You can find the full list containing 101 job titles on the INTP profile page.
Image source @jcomp via Freepik
Take THIS TEST to find out »