People with phlegmatic personality are unassuming, agreeable, and intuitive. They possess the ability of “web thinking”, i.e., to see the relationship between many bits of data they collect.
They have an incredible skill to gather facts, classify them into different categories, and then see the relationship between seemingly contradicting elements.
Essentially, it is the ability to read between the lines. Phlegmatic men and women don’t do very well at memorizing separate unrelated facts. They grow bored and annoyed. To be excited by the process, they need to be able to generalize.
It’s all about the estrogen!
Phlegmatic personality traits are linked to estrogen, which is present in both men and women. However, phlegmatic people are predominantly females.
Millions of nerve fibers connect the two hemispheres of the brain, and estrogen builds more nerve connections between the remote areas within each region. These connections assist the ability of “seeing a bigger picture” or “web thinking”.
– These people are imaginative; they like to think abstractly. For example, they will try to read your body language and tell you what you were thinking.
– Phlegmatics want to know other people’s deepest feelings and strive to build intimate attachments with about everyone in their lives.
Take THIS TEST to find out »
They are interested in cooperation and interpersonal harmony, and this is why they preserve their family ties and friendships. When there is a conflict, they seek to agree and to satisfy the needs of everyone involved.
– These men and women are very empathetic and compassionate. They try to understand what the other person is thinking and feeling, then to respond accordingly, which allows them to connect with that person. People with a phlegmatic personality are very agreeable.
– Phlegmatics could be described as cooperative, considerate, charitable, sympathetic, trusting, and warm. They like to express their feelings, sometimes dramatizing their experience, which is the evidence of high estrogen activity.
– Phlegmatic men and women seek to contribute to society at large. They strive to fight cancer, donate to orphanages, and help the poor. They also strive to greater self-knowledge, which they see as a must.
On the negative side, people with a phlegmatic personality can be indecisive and unable to focus on essential details. They keep ruminating on the bigger picture while ignoring the crucial aspects.
Their talkativeness can be annoying, and because they seek connection, they may appear needy, constantly demanding reassurance.
They may be trying to understand you, but they also may assume that you see and feel the world the same way they do.
They might take criticisms as an insult and pout for days, weeks, and months. Finally, they are very prone to depression.
Find out all about how Phlegmatic people behave in love and relationships here.
Go to the main Temperaments page.
The Phlegmatic personality type is very similar to the INFP personality type.
Online CBT Platform to Help Deal with Relationship Problems, Anxiety, Depression, Addiction, and More. Includes professional follow-up by a CBT therapist. Click here to get started.